Followers

Saturday 4 April 2015

Honeycomb crunchies!

It's been three months since I've been married and I've realised one thing (well, one of many things). Men are happy when good food is around. My husband is no exception whatsoever! He LOVES his food. I didn't realize this when we started dating, but I do now. He unvieled his grumpy, hungry side much later. He loves his meat but he also loves his caramel. Just like I'm obsessed with chocolate, he's mad about caramel.

So now, I try experimenting with caramel. Sugar can be a total pain in the ass. For those of you who have tried making caramel sauce from scratch, you know what I mean. It takes only a couple of seconds for sugar to get burnt. I've learned the hard way but now, I've pretty much got the hang of it. Oh, and it's ridiculously delicious. I will post the foolproof recipe for caramel sauce very soon.

This is another version of caramel which is super easy and quick. The best part is that it can be refrigerated and used as a perfect topping for other desserts. It's like a crunchy version of cotton candy. It's also known by a variety of other names such as hokey pokey, puff candy, etc.


I prefer this with chocolate. You can use tempered white chocolate or milk chocolate but I find that to be a bit too sweet. I've used tempered bittersweet dark chocolate this time.

The recipe is simple. Here's what you'll need:

Ingredients


200gms fine castor sugar
2 tablespoons liquid glucose or golden syrup
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons baking soda

Recipe

Line a tray with non-stick baking paper and keep it ready.


In a sauce pan,  place the sugar, water and syrup over medium heat. Allow the sugar to dissolve and it slowly changes colour to a lovely amber. This is when it's ready.

Remove from heat and quickly sprinkle the soda over the sugar mixture and using a whisk, mix the entire mixture for a maximum of two to three times. You can see that the mixture dramatically increases in volume.

Pour the mixture onto the tray and let it cool for about three hours. Use an appropriate kitchen tool to break it into smaller pieces.


Dip the honeycomb in tempered chocolate and allow it to cool.


This can be refrigerated in an airtight container for about a week.



No comments:

Post a Comment